Vive memor quam sis aevi brevis.

Sunday 4 February 2018

Every Ride is a Recovery Ride

About 130 kilometers.

My total road distance for January, excluding errand rides. i don't usually count those distances because they're taken at only a bit higher pace than my walking speed (spoiler alert: i mosey on foot.)

i wasn't keeping track in December or November. i'd be surprised if it broke 200km total.

2017 wasn't a good year for my riding. Although i did manage to do three 200 km brevets, an invitational or two, and a long day's ride on Wisconsin's Wild Goose Trail and another on the Badger State Trail. 

With a few exceptions, i found that i've been having increasing difficulty being able to ride fast enough to keep out of my own way. i've never had tons of stamina, but in recent years, what stamina i've had has been ebbing. My doctor gave me a good going over last year, but nothing is obviously wrong. i live in denial that it's an age thing.

So, i've been practicing an attitude adjustment. i no longer try to chase down that guy up the road, nor step up my pace to keep up with any rider who passes me... for the time being.

Today there's an inch or two of snow on the roads and it's about 15 degrees American outside with a stiff wind. i'm holed up and considering my options. i do want to attempt some longer brevets this season- the first one of our club's rides is in April, so there's a lot of work ahead of me.

Downstairs my wife's bike is on the trainer. Her goal is to be able to do the two days' Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour as discomfort-free as possible. We've done seven of these rides so far and we're really looking forward to it. i admire her ambition. As for me, i detest indoor riding- so much so that i sold off my wind trainer and rollers a few years ago- i hardly used them anyway, but now i'm regretting that decision. i think that tomorrow i'll be taking her bike off and setting up my own- have to start somewhere...

Basically, i'm at kilometer zero. Time to quit whingeing and to get busy.
                                                  
                                                 *****************************

It's all uphill.

No comments:

Post a Comment